Here is what a devoted teenager looks like according to them. Devoted teens:
- Attend religious services weekly or more.
- Possess a high importance of faith in their everyday life.
- Feel very or extremely close to God.
- Currently involve themselves in a youth group.
- Pray a few times a week or more.
- Read Scripture once or twice a month or more.
According to the NSYR's findings, only a very small group of American teens fit into the category of devoted - around 8%.
Interestingly, these are the factors they found most influence the devoted teenagers:
- Committed Christian parents.
- Adults at their church to whom they can turn for support and advice.
- Personal prayer.
- Study of Scripture.
- High value of their faith.
- Firmly knowing what they believe.
- Many religious experiences.
I'm really intrigued by these findings. Some of them are very affirming of my own beliefs and practices in ministering to students, some of them are eye-opening. What is your reaction to this study? I'd love to hear your thoughts!